Monday, March 28, 2016

review || DRIFTER by Bella Jewel


Self-Published | March 21, 2016 | Contemporary Romance
MC Sinners Next Generation, book 2
★★★★★

SOURCE: GIVE ME BOOKS

They say opposites attract.

In my world that isn’t a good thing.
 
I did everything I could to escape the motorcycle club I grew up in when I turned twenty-one.
 
It wasn’t about fear, or betrayal, or even lack of love.
 
I just needed my own life.
 
I had to know how it felt to stand on my own two feet without their protection.
 
Then I met Diesel.
 
Mysterious, dark, with eyes that screamed to be understood.
 
From the second I met him, I knew I needed to be in his life.
 
There’s just one problem – he’s a member of a different motorcycle club.
 
Two things that should never be combined.
 
Yet I can’t stay away. No matter how hard he pushes. I can see beyond his mask.
 
I need to know who he is and I’ll overcome any obstacle to be in his life.
 
A friendship is born, followed by an epic love.
 
Our relationship is forbidden.
 
But I’ll do anything to be in his life.
 
Anything.
AMAZON US / UK / AU / CA

{ review } .

There's nothing I love more than seeing that a series is about the children from a previous series. While I haven't read the books that belong to Deisel's and Mercedes's parents and their extended families, I absolutely loved the club dynamics of both the Knights and the Jokers. So quick sidenote? I'll be reading their families' stories, because I loved them all (that and the constant reference of history repeating itself when Mercedes was battling Diesel in front of his family).

When Mercedes, Mercy to family, first meets Diesel, it's as a VIP guest to a show he's playing -- and he was less than kind. Little did she expect him to show up in her first college course.

Diesel has a huge chip on his shoulder and doesn't let people in close. He wants nothing to do with the club lifestyle he was raised in, but his family wants him to take his rightful spot. I rather liked the gruff, quiet Diesel. And watching as Mercedes fought to be his friend was comical at the best of times, and simply heartwarming every other time.

Mercedes was definitely a biker's daughter -- something she fought extremely hard to keep to herself. When she finds out Diesel is a biker kid too, she wants to keep her parentage close to her chest even more -- even though she wants to tell him she understands him more than he realizes, she grew up in the club life, and therefore knows the taboo nature of her even being friends with the child of a different club, rivals or not.

Mercedes's interactions with her father were probably some of my favorite scenes; watching the big biker with his daughter when they were on good terms, was lovely, but their fights... Mercy is her father's daughter, and they fight hard -- and I maybe wanted to shed a tear or two for her dad.

Diesel and Mercedes spend most of the book on the outs with one another; Mercy fights long and hard to be his friend but by doing so, she ends up making an enemy or two. It's those times, though, that we see the type of person Diesel has the ability to be, and while yes, Mercy fought tooth and nail for his friendship, when she receives it? Totally worth the wait. And when Diesel admits to his reasons for keeping her at arms length? Can't help but love him more.

These two were so freaking cute. I loved them. I could revisit them over and over again. With these club intermingling... I'm curious what child will fall for whom next. I see more mixing in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment