Sunday, January 3, 2016

{ revised } review || THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE VAMPIRE by Sara Humphreys


25391368
Sourcebooks Casablanca | January 5, 2016 | Paranormal Romance
Dead in the City, book 4
★★★★1/2

SOURCE: PUBLISHER


Beloved author Sara Humphreys' acclaimed paranormal romance series continues with sweltering attraction between two vampires who have all the time in the world to satisfy their desires...

He wants eternity?
Dakota Shelton is a vampire cowboy with a penchant for cinnamon lollipops and Johnny Cash. Though highly skilled and deadly dangerous to his enemies, he's still a Texas good ol' boy at heart. And he has that heart set on wooing Trixie LaRoux-the most badass punk rock chick in town-the old-fashioned way.

Over her undead body...
Trixie is tough as nails and sharp as a silver stake-the last thing she wants is a man to sit on a porch and not grow old with. So it'll take going to hell and back fighting a new threat to vampires before she admits Dakota's courtship makes her blood hum. Turns out chivalry's not dead after all.

{ review } .

I was a bit surprised to find I didn't quite connect with this book, and really didn't care for Trixie. Granted, I've only read VAMPIRES NEVER CRY WOLF but I thoroughly enjoyed that book. Where Sadie and Killian's bickering was fun (I love a good bicker), it just didn't quite hit it's mark with Dakota and Trixie. Dakota's cowboy drawl and sex appeal was just a bit overdone for me, too.

--which is quite the kicker, because I loved him so much in the previous book.

...maybe I just need to revisit VAMPIRES NEVER CRY WOLF and jump into this book again. Perhaps the 10 months between publications was too much for me. I find that sometimes I need to read a series in "one sitting" in order to stay connected with the characters.

Have you ever been in a book-reading-slump? You've read too many books and can't manage to connect with ANY that you pick up afterward?

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE VAMPIRE was a victim of that mentality. I found myself incredibly annoyed with Trixie and the southern drawl slingin' Dakota -- even though I loved Dakota previously. I was annoyed with Trixie's standoffish nature and when I jumped to the epilogue, I was further annoyed by the "boy..." and "darlin'" -- it was way too "Hey, girl, heyyyyy" for me so I put the book down. I was disappointed I didn't like what I read, because I remembered absolutely loving the previous book in the series.

After writing my non-review above, I decided to give it another go. I hadn't picked up a book in a week (in order to get read-out, I read to be super ahead in my review tour schedule) and was of fresh mind.

So I tried again.

And I loved it.

Trixie's standoffish nature has a reason -- she hasn't quite come to terms with chunks of her past and what she left behind in her human world. Dakota, who doesn't quite know about this bloodmate thing that has been whispered about, just knows that he's drawn to the crazy haired vamp and wants to ease her troubles. Dakota was a great lead and watching him try to help Trixie through everything was lovely. I loved his caring nature, and his protective nature, and how he enfolded everything that was Trixie and made her issues his own.

Side story wise, my heart aches for Suzie and Damien. I love the quiet, unsure vampire, and I hurt for the love Damien has for her. I am curious how all of that is going to be resolved.

I'm so glad I gave this book another try -- this crazy coven with it's vampires and werewolves and witches, oh my, is quite the eclectic mix, yet they work together oh so incredibly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment