Wednesday, January 27, 2016

review || FORGED IN STONE by Alyssa Rose Ivy


25705716
Self-Published | June 9, 2015 | New Adult Fantasy Romance
Forged Chronicles, book 1
★★★★

SOURCE: MARK MY WORDS PUBLICITY

The son of darkness is all grown up...

James is a Guardian. He is tasked with protecting the most important person in his world. For eight years he has done his job without complaint, but he has grown tired of living under the shadow of a father who is responsible for the most unimaginable violence and destruction his world has ever known.

Ainsley is at a loss for what to do with her life. She hates her two dead end jobs and the family who betrayed her. She has resigned herself to living one day at a time, but she longs for an escape from her lonely life.

When Ainsley finds James in her bed, their two lives and worlds collide. They may have both found exactly what they need, but the darkness James has been running from his whole life has just caught up.
amazon | bn | itunes

{ review } .

There aren't many paranormal or fantasy books that I go in with an understanding of the 'world' I'm reading about. There are the series that I follow, yes, but aside from those, I generally go in incredibly blind.

As I did with Forged in Stone. For that reason, I felt that this story was enjoyable. I learned about the world as James explained it. When he wakes up to a woman in the bedroom he took for the night, you just knew that he was a family friend "at one time". As that particular timeframe progresses, we learn more about who Ainsley is to Charlotte and her family, his friendship with Charlotte, and what James's job is in relation to Charlotte. A lot revolves around Charlotte, yes? That's because of who she is in this world Alyssa Rose Ivy has built.

James's past, as well as Ainsley's, mix and within the mix comes a need for protection, bringing Ainsley into James's world. In that world, with the events leading up to it as well, we see the author's ability to write drama and angst, as well as well-rounded romance.

For the most part, I truly enjoyed this story. My hang-ups, though... the first (minor) one would have to be the blind-date. I felt that the scene and his pushiness were forced; they didn't feel natural and therefore the guy was eye-roll worthy. My major hang-up, and it has nothing to do with the writing, was James's use of complete sentences with full words. For whatever reason, "that cannot be" rather than "that can't be" (example from the top of my head) drives me crazy. I end up reading the sentences in an uptight, choppy manner and it drives me to dislike the character. While I understand the creative side to it, and therefore it's relation to James's role as Guardian, it completely drove me out of my mind -- almost enough to stop reading.

But if you can get past the little things, this is a story that will have you begging for the next installment (which just came out & I'm pumped to get my hands on in hopefully the next few days! My one-click powers have been a bit overplayed in the last week, though).

No comments:

Post a Comment