Sunday, August 16, 2015

{ arc } review || HOT & BOTHERED by Lynn Raye Harris


24514289
H.O.T. Publishing, LLC | August 28, 2015 | Military Romance
Hostile Operations Team, book 8
★★★★1/2

SOURCE: AUTHOR

He can never have her. Having her means the end of his career in the Hostile Operations Team. But when he learns she’s carrying his child, he’ll have to make a choice…

Ryan “Flash” Gordon has been drawn to Emily Royal bin Yusuf since the first moment he met her. But she’s a terrorist’s widow, which means she’s completely off-limits. A HOT special operator can never be with a woman whose name is on government watch lists the world over.

But when Emily begs him for just one night, he can’t refuse. The next morning, she’s gone. Not just from his bed, but from his life.

Emily can never clear her name—or can she? When a rogue CIA operative offers her a chance to put her past behind her and do something for her country, she leaps at the opportunity—even though it means leaving behind the man she’s fallen in love with. But not before she lets herself have one night with him.

One night with stunning consequences…

{ review } .

I had a hard time getting into HOT & BOTHERED (which, mmhm... bothered me because of how much I love this series) and after thinking back on the book, I think it's simply because Flash has always been the jokester, the jovial 'kid' of the group who was the first to smile, the first to tease... I guess I never pictured him settling down.

However, the moment Emily entered the picture (in HOT REBEL, mind you), his immediate friendship with Victoria's baby sister was a side story that I enjoyed watching.

Now, confession time... I forgot who Emily was when I picked up this book. But, lines into the story, I was reminded simply by the reference to her being Victoria's sister. Ah, that's right. It all came back to me. Emily, the sister with drug and alcohol issues, who ended up marrying a man who turned into a supremacist and she ended up in a pretty scary world. Emily, who Victoria went rogue for to try and save. Emily, who stole Flash's attention nearly from the beginning.

Yes. I remembered then. That Emily.

I enjoyed Ryan and Emily -- theirs is a book that deals with an attraction that shouldn't happen (his job and her past don't exactly mix), over-protective siblings (because, yeah, Brandy treats Emily like his sister and I. Just. LOVED. that...), and a few situations that throw both Emily and Ryan for a loop -- a loop that showcases Ryan's protective instincts, Emily's need for self-sacrifice (more or less), and their feelings for one another: feelings that neither own up to due to some fear or another.

While not my favorite HOT story (Lucky and Kev will always be my favorite. ALWAYS.), it's definitely another great addition to this world that Lynn Raye Harris has brought us. There are a few mentions of the ECHO team too, so I'm curious if, in addition to the SEAL team we saw formed in Hot SEAL, we get to know some new players soon.

{ series } .

HOT PURSUIT 5
HOT MESS 5
HOT PACKAGE 5
DANGEROUSLY HOT 5★ review } .
HOT SHOT 4★ review } .
HOT REBEL 5★ review } .
HOT ICE 4.5★ review } .
HOT SEAL 5{ review } .

note: I have read the entire series; I simply read the first 4 books before starting this reviewing adventure (I went back to review DANGEROUSLY HOT because, hello -- it's Lucky and Kev's story). If you haven't read this series, HOT PURSUIT is free on Amazon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment