Saturday, November 7, 2015

review || TOO MANY ROCK STARS by Candy J. Starr


26878828
Self-Published | October 30, 2015 | New Adult
Access All Areas, book 1
★★

SOURCE: XPRESSO BOOK TOURS

I don’t date rockers. Don’t sleep with them. Don’t even swap spit. I’ve been working as a band booker at Trouble -- the coolest indie rock club in town -- long enough to know what a bunch of screwed up, egotistical jerks they are. Some of them might seem okay at first but that’s just because they’ve learnt to hide it better than others.

That would be fine if Razer didn’t keep popping into my office, making himself so annoyingly attractive. And he only gets more insistent when the leather-clad Alex hits town.

While they compete for both rock glory and my affection, I get stuck in the middle but all I really want to do is save my job and the club.

That’s the trouble with my life: too many rock stars.

This is book 1 in the Access All Areas rock star series. For the best, non-spoiler it is best to read the series in order but each book is a complete story with no cliffhangers.
amazon | bn | itunes

{ about candy j. starr } .

Candy J. Starr used to be a band manager until she realised that the band she managed was so lacking in charisma that they actually sucked the charisma out of any room they played. “Screw you,” she said, leaving them to wallow in obscurity – totally forgetting that they owed her big bucks for video equipment hire.

Candy has filmed and interviewed some big names in the rock business, and a lot of small ones. She’s seen the dirty little secrets that go on in the back rooms of band venues. She’s seen the ugly side of rock and the very pretty one.

But, of course, everything she writes is fiction.

{ review } .

The only other Candy J. Starr titles I've read was ROCK YOU and while it was very much a part of a trilogy, with it's decent cliff-hanger at the end, I knew what to expect of her writing style. For the most part, the writing is well done -- it's easy to picture the scenes and people, and the dialogue is easy to read. You definitely get the sense that she knows what she's talking about. There are moments, though, that the reading feels a bit more elementary -- slightly choppy, not as descriptive, and the characterization not as full (Tex was pretty well thought out though).

So like I said, I went into this expecting the same style I read in ROCK YOU -- but it wasn't.

This story definitely had better flow and the characterizations were certainly fuller. I liked Violet's semi-history with Razer, and the fighting attraction there. Equally, though, I actually enjoyed the new player in the game, Alex -- I tend to get annoyed while reading triangle-esque stories, but I was rooting pretty heavily for one and ended up happy in the end. There wasn't too much playing around and jerking on the (reader's) heartstrings.

Violet was a tough cookie, but her vulnerabilities were what drew me most to her character. Those were the parts that I enjoyed her the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment