Wednesday, January 28, 2015

review || WANT ME














Want Me by Cynthia Eden

Publisher: Hocus Pocus Publishing, Inc (1/22/2015)
Series: Dark Obsession, book 2
Genre: Military Romance
Source: NetGalley
Buy it  || amazon | bn || goodreads

Rating: ★★★★1/2





She doesn't play it safe...

Sophie Sarantos has a weakness for dangerous men. She doesn't like safe lovers--she likes men with a wild, rough edge. But Sophie may have attracted a lover who is too dangerous, even for her. Someone is stalking Sophie, slipping into her home, watching her day and night. The stranger seems to know all of Sophie's darkest secrets, secrets that should never be revealed.

Out of options, Sophie turns to ex-solider Lex Jensen for protection. Lex is part owner of VJS Protection, Inc., and Sophie hires him as her bodyguard. She thinks Lex is one of the "good guys" out there, but she couldn't be more wrong.

He doesn't play at all...

Lex has his own secrets. Dark, deadly secrets. And as his feelings for Sophie grow, Lex knows that he is going to have to stop pretending to be a gentleman and, instead, he'll have to show Sophie who he really is. A man trained to kill. A man too used to evil. A man who will take any risk...as long as he can claim Sophie.

Because there is one thing that Lex wants in this world...one person he desires above all others...Sophie. And no one will hurt her, not on his watch.

- - -

Connect with Cynthia || goodreads | twitter | website

- - -

When WATCH ME was first announced, I was super excited. I had read a book or two in Cynthia's MINE series, and I had read CHARMING THE BEAST; I liked that way Cynthia wrote and therefore I was excited for this series that she was announcing and pushing out in quick fashion. I remembered that I liked WATCH ME and saw I gave it 5 stars even (in a review I never finished and never published; no worries, I published what I had written but lengthy review it is not)... 

But I couldn't remember the story. 

Typically the stories I rate as 5s... heck, most books that I read... I remember, yet with WATCH ME, I remembered nothing. It took going through my notes again and again to remember.  Therefore, I knew going into this story that when reading I could easily be sucked in -- Cynthia writes in that way.

After reading others' reviews of WATCH ME, I made sure to pay closer attention to what I was reading when going through the pages of WANT ME... Hence the 4.5 when I had given WATCH ME a 5 (and decidedly liked WANT ME more than WATCH ME). Had I plowed through this book like I did the first, I probably would have given it a 5 but again, I was trying to be more critical this go around. And my biggest, if only, critique? Sometimes the writing and scenes were choppy.

...easy to overlook and forget when plowing through the pages, super engrossed in the falling of Lex and Sophie.

Sophie has had a hard life. Unfortunately for Lex, her hard life has brought her super close to the men Lex wants to take down. He has a hard time with the fact that Sophie is close to those men, but manages to keep his thoughts separated. 

Sophie is a headstrong character who goes after what she wants...

Oh, let's be honest... Sophie simply takes what she wants.

I love that Lex fools himself to thinking that when it comes to his emotions, he can keep them in check. He wants to be the good in Sophie's life, and when he snaps (ha, man, thought you said you'd keep them in check?), he knows without a doubt that he's lost the best thing in his life.
"She matters to me. More than anything. So, fuck, yes, when I got her away from that bastard, I hit him. I just kept hitting him... I hit him even when he wasn't fighting back. I hit him because I wanted to kill him. I wanted her to be safe."
"But you stopped... You stopped then," Dev said.
"I stopped for Sophie. She touched me, and I just wanted to hold her." But he'd been scared to touch her with blood on his hands. ..."Why the inquisition? Why--"
"Because you're sitting in here, and you're throwing something really important away instead of running out and making Sophie listen to you..."
Oh, stupid, silly man.

Lex and Sophie's story is easily my favorite thus far. Yes, Gwen and Chance were a great pairing; I loved them and loved watching glimpses of them (or rather, Chance) in WANT ME. I love stories where one party falls for the other and it takes months, years even, for them to confess -- granted, him being hired by her father, while under her father's detail, certainly puts a damper on impending relationships, but still. 

Watching Lex fall for the lawyer of the man he wants to put away? Loved it. 

Seeing Dev and Julianna... Not sure how I feel about that, but with Cynthia... I'm sure I'll feel great about it while reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment