Tuesday, October 21, 2014

review || DESIRED

Quick note... I read this book in August and started drafting this at that time. Please remind me that IT IS OCTOBER!!! Oh me, oh my.... Thank goodness I've changed how I review books (I now start the draft the moment I open the book and publish within a few days of finishing).

DESIRED was a book that I absolutely, positively, would not have picked up without NetGalley. BDSM is not really my thing -- and from what I've seen on Tumblr or random (maybe not so random) Google searches... yeah, really not for me.

I don't understand the humiliation or the pain. I don't get the desire to be a mere "kitten", cowering in a corner, while a man yells and whips at you.

......but Stacey Kennedy brought a different view point to it for me. And I have to say, after reading the book, I found more Tumblr posts (1 for each.... 30 or so, maybe) that veered toward the BDSM world that Stacey writes about -- that it's about trust, and letting go, and honestly -- being loved on a different level. It's about the pleasure that comes through for both parties. Yes, you have a Dominant partner and a submissive one. Yes, the Dom can seem cold in his wordage. But the cowardice is a choice, a choice that maybe the submissive needs to get away from her (or his) daily life.


*...I really do love this cover
Club Sin: DESIRED by Stacey Kennedy
Publisher: Loveswept (7/22/2014)
Series: Club Sin, book 3
Genre: Erotic Romance
Source: NetGalley for honest review
Buy It For Your Kindle | Nook || Goodreads
My Rating:

Kyler Morgan, Master at the legendary Club Sin in Las Vegas, knows how to give women what they want—too well. He hasn’t had a real challenge in a long time. Then Ella Snow enters his life. Beautiful, inhibited, and innocent in the ways of submission and domination, Ella is the new blood he’s been lusting after. Soon, the thrill of training her to embrace his world brings forth desires Kyler cannot control.
 
After ending an abusive relationship, Ella makes a promise to herself to start living life to the fullest. It’s one of the reasons she seeks out Club Sin. Here, Kyler’s every touch is a lesson in liberation, stirring passions that have no bounds. But as she falls under Kyler’s command, Ella discovers that some secrets are so dark they must come to light. Submission alone may not be enough to save her, leaving her Master with only one question: How can he help Ella heal while unlocking the deep pleasures she craves?



Stacey Kennedy Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

- - -
Like I said... Not a book I normally would pick up. But the cover was hot. Really, it was sexy. I mean, look at it a little bit longer. Sexy, yes? And he's pretty delicious looking...

So I pick books off of the cover. Big whoop. Luckily, the sexy cover went with a really, really good story.

This book was my first in the realm of BDSM. I didn't get into the SHADES fandom. I skim read the book at Target one day, shrugged, and figured it for 'child's play', because hey, I read romance books for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So without SHADES, my only other peak into the lifestyle was truly gifs on Tumblr (I read and I write, therefore, I research.......) -- and what I saw? Did not impress me (like I said above).

My very first highlight/note in this book was at the wedding, where Kyler notes to himself that all the bridesmaids were beautiful in their dresses, that it was such a different look than when they were all at the club, naked or in lingerie. Right off the bat, you learn that the lifestyle has two very separate faces -- the public view, and the private (which is public in it's own way) view.

But with all the beautiful ladies that Kyler (a dragon wielding master Dom at the club) can have his share of whenever... his eye keeps wandering to Ella, who is very much not part of the lifestyle. When she shows interest in him, he does what any guy in his position would do... 

...he kinda sorta introduces her to the lifestyle by some heavy petting in public.

I'm sure people are going to get sick of my reviews when every single one says something about character development, but I just can't help myself. Without good development, the story lacks. The development here was stellar. You learn from the get-go what a strong, trustworthy, kind Dom Kyler is, and you learn what a strong-willed woman Ella is -- even when, as time goes on, Kyler holds back on her, and they get into a pretty well-written fight.

If I didn't have a to-read queue of 20 books, I'd re-read this one right now. As it is, it gets a pretty number 5 to go with it so I know when I need a book to read, this is one of my go-to's.

No comments:

Post a Comment