Friday, November 7, 2014

review || TEMPTING FATE














Tempting Fate by Brinda Berry

Publisher: Sweet Biscuit Publishing, LLC (10/1/2014)
Series: Serendipity, book 2
Genre: New Adult
Source: NetGalley
Buy It From Amazon&Kindle | BN&Nook || Goodreads
My Rating: ★1/2



*New Adult Standalone Novel* 

When two worlds collide, it can only be fate. 

Collin knows trouble when he sees it. A beautiful girl crashing into his car? She should be flashing a neon DANGER sign. He knows better than to get involved with a fresh-faced babe who could break his already-tattered heart. After graduating from college, he's on track to start over in a new place. He's discovering what he wants from life, away from the shadow of his overbearing father and the betrayal of his cheating ex-fiancĂ©. 

Veronica's home life morphs from trailer park to homeless after a bloody fight between her brother and her ex. She's on the run from a situation that promises to be deadly. Without a home, money, or friends, she's at Collin's mercy. 

Fate brought them together. Will a secret from her past tear them apart?


- - -

First she slams into his car, then leaves marks on his car -- much like she has slammed into his life.
She's distrustful of him, but he's been the only savior she's encountered. She's incredibly apprehensive when he wants to help -- after all, that's not something she's used to.
“I like things clean,” he says as I stare at the baked potato caddy he balances in one hand.
“Ah.” I brush some errant breadcrumbs from the seat into my palm.
“It’s okay for now. I’ll have the car detailed tomorrow.” He makes a brisk bobbing gesture with his head. “Don’t worry about it. It’ll come clean.”
I smooth my muddy T-shirt. I’m probably the messiest thing that’s been inside his car in forever. I can’t wait to find this homeless shelter and let him get on with his day. He’s a nice guy … a little bizarre with the crumbs comment, but we all have our quirks. He’d be wise to get rid of me and my trouble fast. My eye twitches at the thought. I’m one huge crumb.
I like the way Brinda writes. I enjoy the way she writes in Collin's mind, too.
'I shake me head at the tremor in her voice. For the love of weak men everywhere, don't cry.'

I had to chuckle at that... I also had to chuckle at him a bit later (even though it's in Veronica's voice):
'[Veronica] swallow[s], hoping to push it down. "I have a problem."
'He shakes his head. "It's clear to me that you have lots of problems."
'Is there such a thing as a nice jackass?' 
Oh, and while we're on the topic of liking Collin and his cute-ness...
'"You have ten minutes to get ready. Is it possible? I could give her a half hour, but I figure this will make her hurry.
'"Any girl who takes more than ten minutes to get ready is not that cute." She gives me a sleepy wink and closes the door in my face.
'"I'm timing you. We'll see how cute you really are."'
Ah, Collin... don't fool yourself. You think she's cute regardless of how long it takes her to get ready. But oh, when Jordy joins the timing... I loved it and their 'dude, check the time' talking.

I really enjoyed Collin and Veronica's story. It was, wait for it... cute. I do wish, though, that Veronica trusted Collin with her secret sooner than she did, but thank goodness for small favors and Collin showing up when he does.

Also, I wish the epilogue (err... Chapter 23) was a bit fuller. A bit more substance right there and I'd have been a super happy camper.

...and while it would be back-tracking (oh, let's be honest... I do a lot of back-tracking whenever I pick up a book in the middle of a series) I'm pretty excited to read Malerie and Ace's story, CHASING LUCK.

Who will be book 3? I'm really hoping for a Gunner book at some point. He could use a happily ever after. Jordy, too, but he has some growing up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment